DEFERMENT POLICY AND PROCEDURES
1. Deferment Policy:
- A student who requests for Deferment (i.e. delay or postpones the course) must either have their existing contract terminated or sign an addendum to reflect the changes.
- All request must be made in writing. Verbal notice is not accepted.
- For all terminated Student Contracts, a new student contract will be signed based on the procedures for executing student contracts. The Refund Policy shall apply unless as otherwise agreed between The Institute and the Student.
- Any deferment would be addressed on a case by case basis and The Institute will have the final decision on whether the deferment is approved or rejected.
- For students that are under 18 years of age, written consent from the parent / legal guardian must be obtained.
- Submitting the request does NOT automatically result in an official deferment. Students must ensure that they receive a formal notice / confirmation form The Institute regarding the outcome of their request for deferment
2. Conditions for Granting Deferment:
- The Institute will have final say in all deferment cases. This will be based on availability of the Schedules and Classes.
- Students can apply for deferment of semester / unit ONLY ONCE. Extension of deferment period will only be considered should there be very valid reasons and additional supporting documents provided by the student.
- In applying for deferment, student has to take note of the course completion timelines. Students must ensure that there is sufficient time for them to complete their studies according to the timeline.
- Course Completion Timeline:
- Students must complete their course within the following timeline from the date of class commencement:
- Within 1 year for course duration up to 6 months
- Within 2 years for course duration up to 1 year
- Within 4 years for course duration up to 2 years
- Within 5 years for course duration up to 2.5 years
- Offering of units / courses are subject to availability. The Institute reserves the right to offer similar unit(s) in replacement of discontinued unit(s).
3. Student's Pass Status
- For Student's Pass holder, Deferments are subjected to ICA's approval of the new Student's Pass.
The Institute will inform ICA in the event of any Deferments. Student's Pass will be cancelled.
4. Timeframe for assessing and processing Deferment
- The entire Deferment process, from point of application to the final outcome, should not be more than 4 weeks. If the final outcome is not in favour of the applicant, respective staffs are to handle each situation according to The Institute's dispute resolution policy and procedure.
Student Courses Deferment Procedure
1. Student to Submit Deferment Request Form
- Students requesting for a Course Deferment will need to fill up the Deferment Request Form with supporting documents and submit the Form to the Student Services Executive.
- In the event the student is unable to submit a Deferment Request Form, an email from the student would suffice. The email must be printed out and attached to a blank copy of the Deferment Request Form.
2. Student Interview with Student Services Executive
- Student Services Executive will arrange for an interview session and will discuss with the student the academic implications of deferment and to understand the reasons for deferment and if possible, find a solution to avoid deferment. This can be done face to face, via phone or email.
- Only applicable for students under the age of 18 Years Old:
The School needs to obtain written consent from parents or guardians prior to proceeding with the Course Deferment Request. Consent can be through email or letter. Consent must be documented in the Course Deferment Form.
- Student is to sign off on the Deferment Request Form or send an email to acknowledge if they would like to retract or proceed with the course deferment.
Note: Students holding Student Passes must be informed that their deferment is subject to approval of their student pass from ICA.
3. Approval of Course Deferment by Academic Department
- If student decides to defer from current course, the request would need to be approved by the Academic HOD.
- If The Institute does not approve, the reason(s) will be stated on the Deferment Request Form and student will be informed accordingly.
4. Issue Letter to Accept or Reject Course Deferment
- An official letter to accept or reject the Course Deferment Request would also be issued to students. This would be done upon the approval by Management.
- Student Services Department is to check that the whole deferment procedure has been completed, and an official letter has been issued by signing off on the Deferment Request Form.
Note: Students are to sign off on the Deferment Request Form to indicate that they have received the Official Letter, and contract has been signed.
5. Course deferment due to suspension
- In the event that a student does not turn up for classes on the start of unit date and is not contactable, the student will be deemed as deferred due to suspension.
- At the soonest possible time, student services executives will then get the students to sign the deferment request forms and make the necessary payments. If however, the student is no longer contactable for a reasonable period of time, the withdrawal due to expulsion will come into effect.