Information for International Students
Singapore is a dynamic, cosmopolitan city, rich in culture and heritage. Singapore offers a diverse community of Chinese, Malay, Indian and other cultures, covering a wide spectrum of religions, cultures, and languages living harmoniously together. This synergistic mix of ethnic groups offers international students a range of choices for living and playing in Singapore. Staff at the William Angliss Institute in Singapore are both local and international, and we respect and enjoy celebrating our students special cultural days.
With a total land area of 646 square kilometres and a population of 5 million, Singapore is compact in size yet an enormous commercial hub at the gateway to SE Asia and the world. Singapore’s climate is warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from 23 to 33 degrees Celsius. Expect plenty of sunshine, with the occasional rain storm, especially during the year-end periods.
Renowned for its low crime rate, political stability, high standards of living and excellent MRT transport system, Singapore is the ideal environment to gain a recognised educational qualification.
Other useful links - Relevant Singapore Laws
ICA – Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore
MOM – Ministry of Manpower
Singapore Police Force
Singapore Anti-Narcotics Association
National Environment Agency
Land Transport Authority
Attorney General’s Chambers
Committee for Private Education
Pre departure checklist
Students are reminded to bring along the following documents before you depart to Singapore:
- Ensure your passport has a validity of at least 6 months
- Ensure you have obtained a valid entry visa for Singapore (if required)
- Ensure you have made necessary accommodation arrangements before coming to Singapore
- Ensure all official documents, academic certificates and transcripts that are non English are officially notarised and translated
- Ensure you have prepared enough cash (Singapore currency) to pay for your initial living expenses, prior to the opening of a bank account
- Student Pass In-Principle-Approval Letter from Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), Singapore
- Letter of Offer from William Angliss Institute
- 4 recent passport-sized photographs
- Complete the Disembarkation / Embarkation Form at the Immigration Checkpoint of Singapore Changi Airport
- Convert your cash into Singapore Currency at the currency exchange counters at Singapore Changi Airport, if you have not done so back in your home country
- Get a Map of Singapore from information counters at Singapore Changi Airport
- Move into your housing accommodation and make due diligence checks to prevent future disputes with the building management / landlord
- Report to William Angliss Institute to complete outstanding administrative matters, pay any outstanding programme or miscellaneous fees.
- Undergo the mandatory medical examination arranged by William Angliss Institute and collection of student’s pass
- Attend William Angliss Institute Orientation Day and commence your student journey!